- GIVEN NAME : Juli
- FAMILY NAME : YAMASHITA
Education and Professional experience
- March 1988: Received a BSc of Information Science from Department of Information Science, the University of Tokyo.
- April 1988: Researcher at the Industrial Products Research Institute, Agency of Industrial Science and Technology, Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- January 1993: Researcher at the Human-Environment System Department, National Institute of Bioscience and Human-Technology.
(according to the reorganization of AIST institutes)
- August 1994 - November 1995: Visiting Scholar at Human Interface Technology Laboratory, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.,
funded by Science and Technology Agency (currently Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology ).
Worked on the GreenSpace project and its demonstration held in Nov. 1994.
- October 1998 - March 2001: Senior Researcher at the Human-Environment System Department, National Institute of Bioscience and Human-Technology, AIST, MITI.
- April 2001 - June 2005: Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for Human Science & Biomedical Engineering, AIST.
- July 2003 - present: Managing director and CTO of SurgTrainer, Ltd., which has been certified as an AIST Venture company since 2003.10.
- July 2005 - March 2010: Group Leader of Skill Research Group at the Institute for Human Science & Biomedical Engineering, AIST.
- April 2010 - 2014: Senior Research Scientist at Human Technology Research Institute, AIST.
- April 2014 - 2017: Senior Research Scientist at 人間情報研究部門, AIST.
- April 2017 - 2020: Senior Research Scientist at 健康工学研究部門, AIST.
- April 2020 - present: Senior Research Scientist at Human and Medical Research Institute, AIST.
Membership of societies
- Training of surgical skills in endosocpic surgery
- Human-Computer Interface
- Virtual Reality --- especially 3D haptic / force feedback interface
- Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computational Geometry
- Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS)
- Design for elderlies and the physically handicapped
Selected Publication List
Papers and Proceedings
- Takeshi Okuda, Juli Yamashita, Mitsugu Fujita, Hiromasa Yoshioka, Takayuki Tasaki, Amami Kato: The chicken egg and skull model of endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery improves trainee drilling skills, Acta Neurochirurgica, Vol. 156, Issue 7, pp. 1403-1407, 2014. (in English) [Link to the journal]
Juli Yamashita, Hideyuki Murata, Koichi Tomoda, and Kazuyasu Baba: An In Situ Tele-mentoring System for Training Endoscopic Surgery in the Operating Room, Simulation in Healthcare, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 558-559, 2012. (2nd Place Abstract Award winner in IMSH2013) (in English) [ PDF file (730KB) ]
Juli Yamashita, Kazunori Yokoyama, Toru Kumagai, et al.: Experiments on Manual Skills Training in Endoscopic Paranasal Sinus Surgery using a Distance Training System with "HyperMirror" Interface, Transactions of VRSJ, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 445-454, 2009. (in Japanese) [ PDF file (3.1MB) ]
Toru Kumagai, Juli Yamashita, Osamu Morikawa, Kazunori Yokoyama, et al.: Distance Education System for Teaching Manual Skills in Endoscopic Paranasal Sinus Surgery Using "HyperMirror" Telecommunication Interface, Proc. of IEEE VR 2008, pp. 233-236, 2008. (in English) [ PDF file (4.8MB) ]
Toru Kumagai, Juli Yamashita, Osamu Morikawa, Kazunori Yokoyama: A New Force-based Objective Assessment of Technical Skills in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Proc. of Medicine Meets Virtual Reality 15 - in vivo, in vitro, in silico: Designing the Next in Medicine (Studies in Health Technology and Informatics), No. 125, pp. 235-237, 2007. (in English) [ PDF file (728KB) ]
Juli Yamashita : State of the Art of Precise and Dissectable Patient Model - Realized Virtuality -, Journal of JSCAS, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 71-75, 2006. (in Japanese) [ PDF file (728KB) ]
Yamashita, J., Y. Fukui, O. Morikawa, and S. Sato : "Haptic "Smoothness" of Force-Shaded, Plygonized Cylindrical Surface," Transactions of VRSJ, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 3-9, 2001. (in Japanese) [ PDF file (196KB) ]
Yamashita, J., Y. Fukui, O. Morikawa, and S. Sato : "On Plane Shape Perception by Displacement with a Point-Contact Type Force Feedback Device," Journal of IPSJ, Vol. 41, No. 5, 2000. (in Japanese)
Yamashita, J., R. W. Lindeman, Y. Fukui, O. Morikawa, and S. Sato: "On Determining the Haptic Smoothness of Force Shaded Surfaces," in Conference Abstracts and Applications of SIGGRAPH 2000, 2000, p.240.
[ PDF file (20K) ] (in English)
Juli Yamashita, Yasushi Yamauchi, Masaaki Mochimaru, Yukio Fukui, and Kazunori Yokoyama: "Real-Time 3D Model-Based Navigation System for Endoscopic Paranasal Sinus Surgery," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.46, No.1, 1999. [ PDF file (3.9M) ] (in English)
Yamashita, J., R. W. Lindeman, Y. Cai, O. Morikawa, and Y. Fukui: "Plane-Shape Perception Using Point-Contact Type Force Feedback Device," in Conference Abstracts and Applications of SIGGRAPH '98, 1998, p.274.
[ compressed PS file (27K) ] (in English)
Yamashita, J., Y. Cai, and Y. Fukui: "Feature-Based Haptic Rendering -- Architecture, Protocol, and Application," in Visual Proc. of SIGGRAPH '97, 1997.
[ PDF file (23K) ] (in English)
Yamashita, J. and Y. Fukui : "Virtual Surface Modelling with "Loosely Coupled" Force Feedback Device", Salisbury, J.K. and Srinivasan, M.A., Eds., The Proceedings of the First PHANToM Users Group Workshop, published as M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Technical Report AITR-1596 and M.I.T. Research Laboratory for Electronics Technical Report No. 612, December 1996.
[ PDF file (45K) ] (in English)
- Yamashita, J., Y. Fukui, H. Yokoi, and M. Shimojo : "3D-DDM: A Three Dimensional-Direct Manipulation Method of B-Spline Surfaces", Transactions of IEE Japan, Vol. 115-C, No.2, 1995. (in Japanese)
- Yamashita, J., H. Yokoi, Y. Fukui, and M. Shimojo : "The Concept of Tool-Based Direct Deformation Method for Networked Cooperative CAD Interface", IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, Vol. E77-D, No.12, 1994. (in English)
- Yamashita, J., H. Yokoi, Y. Fukui, and M. Shimojo : "A Virtual Surface Modeler for Direct and Regional Free Form Manipulation", Proc. of ICAT '94 (The Fourth International Conference on Artificial Reality and Tele-Existence), 1994. (in English)
- Yamashita, J. and Y. Fukui: "A Direct Deformation Method," Proc. of IEEE VRAIS'93, 1993. (in English)
- Yamashita. J. and Y. Fukui: "DDM: A Direct Deformation Method - Two Dimensional DDM -," Journal of IEICE D-II, vol. J76-D-II, 1993. (in Japanese)
- Yamashita, J. and Y. Fukui: "Direct Manipulation of Free Forms," Proc. of IPSJ Graphics and CAD Symposium '92, 1992. (in Japanese)
- Yamashita, J.: "On the Database for Ergonomic Design," Proc. of IPSJ Advanced Database System Symposium '91, 1991. (in Japanese)
- Yamashita, J. and Y. Kishi: "An Approach to Intelligent Solid Modeling," Proc. of Symposium on Industrial Applications of Prolog '88, 1988. (in Japanese)
- USP-5,412,770 : Juli Yamashita and Yukio Fukui: "CAD Free-Form Reshaping Method," (Filed: Sep. 24, 1993, Date of Patent: May 2, 1995) [ PDF file available (1.2MB) ] (in English)
- 山内康司、山下樹里、持丸正明、福井幸男、横山和則: 平成11年特許願第17922号「画像処理装置、方法および記録媒体」
- 山内康司、山下樹里、持丸正明、福井幸男、横山和則、宇野 廣: 平成11年 特願平11-177123号 (特開2001-5377)「人体模型」
The entire list of Juli's work is here.
Back to the AIST Home Page
Juli's home page
Last updated : July 13, 2021